----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Cohane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 10:02 PM
Subject: Re: [H] LCD burn in ?

Sorry to have no advice for you. Just wanted to mention that I can see burn in on my 8 year old Viewsonic 21" P815 CRT monitor. Yes, it's from my desktop too. Not obvious, but you can see it when you have a white background.

What I am about to describe involves a security procedure, also, but security has nothing to do with this thread. When I am going to be away from my computer, I hit the Windows key followed by the L key (lower case l is fine). This is a quick log off. Then I hit the power switch on my LCD monitor. It is my understanding that computer monitors do not power down completely when you do this. They do like televisions and go into some kind of standby mode. The point is there is no image on the screen in this mode. Because it does not completely power down, I do not feel it is doing harm by switching it off and on several times per day. I do the same thing at night, just hit the power switch and let it standby all night with no image on the screen. I do power down my computer once every 24 hours (at night when I am sleeping.) During the day my computer continues to run during these times I am logged out of Windows. True, there may be times during the day my computer monitor displays my wallpaper for an hour or two, but this has not burned an image into it. In fact the background for this email has lots of white space and I see no images burned in. This monitor is about 5 years old.

Chuck