I would keep your system files and programs on the raptors. The first gen 36gb are long in the tooth but still kick butt, only newer raptors and expensive SCSI drives can best their latency and access times.

From: "James Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'The Hardware List'" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: [H] Best hard drive for the job
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:50:20 -0700

I seem to remember a thread awhile back regarding the pros and cons of using SATA, SATA II, RAID0 with Raptors and 7200rpm drives in the best combination
to optimize performance.

I have two 36 GB Raptors in RAID0, 2 250 GB 7200rpm SATA II in RAID0 and a
single 400 GB IDE drive. The system drive/programs and general data are on
the Raptor array and the 2x250 array is used for data storage/video
editting. I am adding 2 more 250 GB 7200rpm SATA II drives and am trying to
optimize performance.

Which drives in which configurations would give the best performance (i.e.,
RAID 0, system drive, virtual memory, video editing, etc.)? I have 2 SATA
150 channels and 4 SATA II 300 channels available (although I had some
problems getting the SATA 150 to work for a boot drive when I originally set
the system up and put the Raptors on a SATA II 300 channel).

Thanks for the advice and guidance.

Jim Maki
[EMAIL PROTECTED]