Symantec scans LAN drives... but you have to map them. There are two things about Symantec AV that I like. It is a old established company inside the U.S.,... that I trust. They may not always be number one but they are always in the top five. Their corporate version is particularly good. And now that MS is getting into the AV game you can bet that Symantec will be on it's best behavior.

Maybe I shouldn't be but I am very leery of all these Eastern European companies with anti virus, anti spy ware programs, I would rather not out source this.

That said I always run a second scanner from a dual boot XP to check. ClamWin is very though for this job, but very slow. As a free AV I use ATIVIR rather then AVAST because I don't like the chunky interface of AVAST. Plus ATIVIR scored higher in a recent PCWorld run off, AVAST being way down at second to last.

The only thing I don't like about ATIVIR is that when it checks daily for updates it puts a beg screen up. It doesn't stop anything but eventually you will have to OK it to make it disappear.

On my laptop I own System Suite 6 Pro so I use it's Trend anti virus, and Sygate firewall.... they do the job. It also comes with anti spyware checking that seems more complicated then it needs to be.