At 03:33 PM 03/08/2006, Al Anger wrote:

The other day I walked around the block looking for unsecured wireless networks with the lappy. I was amazed how many there were. As a way of building clientele, I was thinking about covering neighborhoods with fliers listing these open nets, and offering to secure them for a nominal fee. I believe it's OK to search for open nets, as long as I don't actually connect to one.

I believe you're right. But just because they are open doesn't mean they aren't locked down in some way. I know a person who does some wardriving/piggybacking in our town, and at least one of the motels has an open network, but when you connect to it, you're forced to a login page (SSL, I believe.)

I could turn my van into a rolling lab; scan a block; plug in the names of open nets; print up some fliers; etc. Add a little FUD to the flier like: someone could commit online crimes from your open net, to stimulate responses.
BTW, some of the names of wifi 's are most amusing. (don't_steal, etc.)

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd offer a basic pen test and then tell them what you can do to protect both the network and their machines. You could see AV/spyware/firewall solutions, install better browsers (Firefox), lockdown the desktop, etc.