yeah, that's the next thing. It started this about 2 months ago, not related to anything I can think of, not new programs or any thing specific. I'm considering doing a system restore back to 2 months ago.. that won't delete any files will it?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thane Sherrington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: [H] sporadic slowdowns and stalls

At 09:33 PM 08/08/2006, Veech wrote:
yeah, did a defrag a couple weeks ago.  Little to no improvement.

Defragging generally has little effect.

I had my main drive go bad on me back in April, the C drive just completely disappeared. Ended up installing XP onto the D Drive, which renamed itself the C drive, and soon after that the original C drive showed up as the H drive. Thing is, iirc the C and D drives were both half of one large HD, so these issues with the current C drive could be related to the previous crash. I have the side of the case off, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

I'd test your hard drives, and check the motherboard and power supply for bad capacitors.