I need to upgrade the drive space - 6 750GB drives in a RAID 5 would
give about 3TB.  I would much prefer to have the RAID card running at
full 64-bit bandwidth to handle that.  So here is what I am looking at
(in a dream world) for my new HTPC:

I guess that's what I don't get...with a modern PCIe motherboard, there's very little hanging off the legacy PCI bus. Given that, there's around 110-120MB/s of useful bandwidth on a standard 33/32 PCI bus. That's many many times more than you'd ever need for an HTPC box. Even if you did put the card in a 66/64 (533MB/s) slot, I don't think you'd notice any improvement, except maybe in a few read benchmarks.

Greg