I had this recently, forced me to reinstall since I
could not track it down.

Basically Services.exes which hosts PnP & Event Log
had the system at
least 20% busy all the time and the idle thread was
never running. Fire
up an app and 100% CPU, the video crawled, etc...

No malware/virus that I could find but I took no
chances,

than odd you have
Thane Sherrington wrote:
> At 11:55 PM 04/10/2006, j maccraw wrote:
>> If you use SI's (now M$) process explorer you can
>> track down the
>> thread/dll that is eating the cpu cycles WITHIN the
>> process & try to
>> diagnose from there.
>
> It's services.exe that's chewing up the majority of
the time.  I've
> tried the following:
> Boot to safe mode - no change
> Boot to MS Config Diagnostic Boot - no change (only
one service is
> running here.)
> Updated the following drivers: video, sound,
network, chipset - no change
> Deleted the following components and rebooted to
reinstall: IDE
> controller, video, sound, network, CPU - no change
> Tried Windows repair install - no change.
>
> I don't understand process explorer well enough to
use it proficiently,
> unfortunately.  Does anyone have a link to a
tutorial on it?  I know
> there is a video training course from SI, but I'm
trying to avoid the