there is the real world and there is legal mumbo jumbo. Guess which rules? :)

Ben Ruset wrote:
How are you the OEM? What equipment are you a manufacturer of? Assembling a computer now and then does not make you an OEM.

Unfair or not, thats how it is. That's why there are plenty of alternatives to Windows out there.

FORC5 wrote:
actually if I buy a OEM copy and build a system and then later decide to destroy that system and build another the OEM SW is fine cause I am the OEM.

it is not tied to the HW like dell and hp and the like is, try to install theirs on other hw and it balks. I have gotten away fixing broke machines by replacing the mb with as close a clone match as possible and things work, usually will activate with COA ( once ) but technically a no no.

Still is very un fare practice. IMO

fp

At 02:22 PM 10/5/2006, Ben Ruset Poked the stick with:
Take it up with Microsoft's lawyers.

They say it's tied to the hardware. You either deal with the license or you use Linux/BSD.

The idea is that you buy the OS at a steep discount versus the retail copy. If the retail copy offers no benefit to the end user versus the 90 days (or whatever) support, why bother having two lines?

Anthony Q. Martin wrote:
why? I bought a copy with a PC...my hardware, I own it. I don't need vendor support after i know the system works. why should anything be tied to hardware and what makes hardware unique? Do we now consider a PC to be a disposable unit...don't fix it, change it, or upgrade it....just toss it out (OS and all) and get a new one?