At 10:57 AM 10/11/2006, you wrote:
At 02:54 PM 11/10/2006, Winterlight wrote:

Multimedia, particular video, TV recording, editing, ...and of course proprietary business software that the vast majority of small business relies on.

MythTV would handle the TV stuff, wouldn't it?

no, very few TV cards are supported with Myth TV .... nothing ATI for one.

As for proprietary business software, we don't see a lot of that around here anymore. Most people are using specialized spreadsheets and that's about it.

I think you are refereeing to simple mom and pop POS retail. But any kind of franchise chains, professional offices, such as any kind of medical, or legal that have to deal with insurance or legal requirements, or any kind of volume business that is tied to material suppliers, are going to be using proprietary software.

One interesting thing... I was in the administration office of my local Costco yesterday, and I noticed they were using IE5.5. I am not surprised they are using IE, but 5.5 was a surprise.