Hi Duncan,
I didn't realize there were 2 control units for the ProMedia 5.1s. Mine has 4 knobs if I recall correclty (1 big one and 3 smaller ones). It's a very jerky volume control that I simply hate. I suppose the signal coming out of it could be amiss, or it could be the amp in teh subbox is dead. I can't tell. The control unit is lit and appears o be working. The subbox doesn't seem to be generating any heat, so I don't get much feel for what it's doing. I know sound is coming from the computer as I put a set of cheapo speakers on and I can hear sound fine. I might go ahead and open this puppy to see what I can see inside. Thx for the input.

dhs wrote:
:: Anthony,
:: Which control unit do you have?  There are 2. The newest one
:: (improved) has a
:: jack on the right side (viewing the controls) and 4 knobs (instead
:: of 3 like I have).
::
:: I have the new model "pre-amp" but have not yet installed it.  I'm
:: still spraying the pots of the old "pre-amp" when sound gets
:: scratchy and weak.  One of these days.
::
:: Your problem may be the "pre-amp" module.  Klipsch alluded to much
:: trouble with
:: the old "pre-amp".  Just a thought.  Any competent electronics tech
:: can fix final related problems with the sub's circuitry.  I have
:: even fixed the boomy-ness of the sub by using "speaker-uppers" to
:: raise the sub off the floor, but couple it back to the hard
:: subfloor.  My "speaker-uppers are small aluminum cones.  I have 3
:: different heights (for various carpet thickness).  Now raised the
:: sub balances very well to the 4 wall-mounted satelites.  I do have
:: the V-2.400 system however.
:: Hope this helps,
:: Duncan
::
:: On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:53 , Anthony Q. Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:: sent:
::
:::
::: I bought these quite a few years ago thinking that I'd never need
::: to buy new speakers again.  Well, the sub where all of the
::: electronics are went bad a while ago but Klipsch replaced it for no
::: charge.  Lately, I noticed that I was hearing a lot of whine coming
::: out of all the speakers.  Today, it appears they have given up the
::: ghost.  Argh.
:::
::: Of course, I have 5 perfectly good speakers here, not counting the
::: sub. It seems a shame to toss them. All I really need is a new sub
::: unit with electronics to drive the other speakers.  I have three
::: lines coming out of the PC that provide the audio signal to the sub
::: unit.  These wires come out of it and go to the remaining 5
::: speakers.  There is a control module that lets you adjust volume
::: and level (center/sub/fronts, etc). If I just want to keep the 5
::: speakers, is it possible to buy a new sub/control unit and reuse
::: the speakers?  Obviously, I think I'd rather avoid Klipsch even
::: though I'll probably check their website to see what my options
::: are.  I don't think I want to shell out 5 bills for computer
::: speakers anyway.
::
::
::
::
::
:: This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net