It's a tough call. I've been holding off on my upgrade for months, waiting for Core 2 Duo to hit. Now seems the time, if I can get a C2D board that supports SLI at 16X, then it's a lock for me. But G80 may make me wait a bit longer than I expected, it's just a few short weeks away.

Veech

----- Original Message ----- From: "GPL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 1:59 PM
Subject: [H] Dual core, quad core processors hit a snag?

Wonder how many of you have read this article:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1839/

Author makes me think. We have these dual core CPU's but are they worth it NOW?

This can be very confusing. What are we saying here? That an old intel
p4 2.6 will give you roughly the same performance as a dual core
running at 2.66 (I believe thats a 6700)? I mean I know the FSB and
CACHE is higher on the dual core but is that the only performance
increase I would see on a $500 cpu purchase because its not really
being utilized by my games and OS?

Just something to think out loud about for us with out the hardware to
run the tests ourselves! :)