At 01:44 AM 08/11/2006, Wayne Johnson wrote:
At 08:03 PM 11/7/2006, Thane Sherrington typed:
Should work fine.  I've done this before (not with that card though.)

Ditto that here as well. We had & maybe still have a local mom/pop shop that installs sound cards telling their clients that the onboard audio died when that wasn't the truth. The onboard audio wasn't very load but that's easily over come with powered speakers. In more than one case I've pulled the new sound card out, went into the CP changing the default audio device & played audio thru their onboard audio. I had one guy tell me that I was trying to pull something as he couldn't believe the other shop would do such a thing. I just said hey, see for yourself I have the card in my left hand & I'm playing audio on your computer with my right hand. I told him that he could hold the sound card if he thought I was cheating so he took it & the PC still played audio just fine. I thought he was going to drop his false teeth then he turned purple at the thought of getting shafted in the 1st place.

The strange thing is I've had this happen to me twice in the last few months as well. I'm starting to wonder if the onboard sound stopped working due to something in the software (codec issue, maybe?) that was corrected when the new card was installed. Of course, the new card was never pulled to retest the onboard until I came along.