Thanks for the thanks...  I was replying to Waynes sidebar
"example" more that your original post (or question).

After "totally damaging" an HD (or two) while having them out
of the case, I try to be less agressive for data recovery...
(I start with the "easiest" way.)

Having a customer take out a HD (and deliver it to me) sounds
like asking for trouble... (JMHO...)  Plus, the "best" customers
are the ones that would not have a clue how to do that, <VBG>...

BTW, (PC Beginner CD), I'm always a little suspicious when I get
to a site like that and find a "big 2 day sale" that ends today... <G>
I may eat my words, but generally when I have gone back, the big
sale ending "today" is still ending any other time I "go there"...
YMMV...

BTW-more, This in no way means it might not work... BartPE
and XPPE work, and for free... The regular price $~70, (before
the 2 day sale), seems a little steep...

Get "something", make sure it works, and enjoy it... <grin>...

                                              Rick Glazier

----- Original Message ----- From: <chuck
I'm going to take this to the "next level" for Chuck.

Running with NO hard drive only proves that "can" be done,
and that nothing from the original "system" hard drive is needed
to "get access" to what ever "other hardware" will be found...
(Remember, this is all done IN the original system --- never
even opening the case...)

I downloaded the PC Beginner CD ISO file and burned the bootable CD. I hope this is the simple way to unlock data in the My Documents file. Again, I am really not interested in using the customer's computer for any of this. For conversation sake, let's assume the customer's computer has a dead motherboard but all data on the hard drive is intact. I have a shop computer specifically for working with other hard drives etc. I can easily work with up to 6 hard drives attached, 4 IDE and 2 SATA. I want to be confident I can unlock data using my shop computer and copy it to a folder on another hard drive. I should not have to worry about anything in a customer's computer but its hard drive. I should feel confident to copy all of a customer's My Documents data to a new computer I am building for them, even if all they bring to me is their hard drive. Again, copying the data has never been a probelm. Unlocking it has.

Thanks,

Chuck