Security updates is one thing that will go away sooner for 2k than XP.

Bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Winterlight
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 1:40 PM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] 2k wireless

It is time to clean off the drive and do a new install on my laptop =
Thinkpad 1.13 P3M with a GB of P133 and a Hitachi Travelstar.  I have
XP on it now but I am thinking I would be better off with 2k. For one
thing 2k takes a lot less space and horsepower and I would like to
start running more things out of a VM and leave the primary OS for
games and multimedia.

2k has a smaller footprint, quicker, and I don't think I need what XP
offers since I will be using Firefox, and I don't have a fast enough
video card to do anything game wise other then legacy games. XP
offers, better security for IE, but I won't be using IE, and XP has
hyperthreading support, ... I don't need it, and better multimedia
support, but not in a area I can take advantage of with this laptop
as the most I will be doing is listening to mp3s, watching a DVD or
video file and maybe watching TV with a USB tuner.

Anybody think I am missing something? ... that my reasoning to choose
2k over XP is wrong?

The only thing I am not sure about is wireless, 2K SP4 supports WPA
...right? I won't have any problems with wireless security using 2k
...right?