I intend to stick with XP, Ben, due to the major questions about Vista right now. Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Ruset" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: [H] CPU-64 or 32?

Beware that if you eventually run 64 bit Vista, you won't be able to run 16 bit apps - and a lot of legacy installer code is 16 bit.

Wayne Johnson wrote:
At 06:55 PM 12/19/2006, Jeff Lane typed:
If I build a 64bit processor system can I run only X86 OS and S/W?

No.

 If so, will all the X86 drivers operate as in a normal X86 system?

Yes.

 In other words, is there automatic backward compatibility?

Yes.

The reasoning here is that if he does decide, or need, to change to the 64bit in the future he will just have to change OS version and, maybe, some S/W, rather than build a whole new PC.

He'd always be better off doing a wipe & starting over. XP64 has SP2 in beta testing as we speak. Hopefully they'll be fixing some more driver issues.