----- Original Message ----- From: "dhs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 5:24 PM
Subject: [H] W98se questions

Is there anyone on the list that can still discuss W98se?
I'd like to trade questions offline/backchannel.

The best booster I have found for clean installs of Windows 98 SE and Millennium is the "Security Update CD" from Microsoft dated February, 2004. I run this comprehensive automatic update (comparable to Auto Patcher for Windows XP) and then I proceed to download the rest of the updates from Microsoft. It would take a very long time to download all of the updates for 98SE, Me or XP from Microsoft. I am very thankful for boosters such as these I have mentioned.

Just to give you an idea of how extensive the updates are for XP, I have about 2 GB of space used on Drive C after I install XP. After I update it I have around 7 GB of space used on Drive C. This is relative, of course. I would guess that 98SE uses about 500 MB freshly installed and around 700 MB after being updated and Millennium around 700 MB when freshly installed and around 1.2 GB after being updated. It seems the space required for all of the updates is far more space than is required for the initial install.

Chuck