From: "CW"
The reason is because Avast! Free is updated weekly at their website
in the download.  Downloading the whole program is 6MB - smaller
then Norton's first update.  Downloading your first update will NEVER
be more then 1MB.  I have a box here running NIS 2007.  It last updated
12/21/06.  This morning's update: 9.2MB.  That's an update that is only
1 weeks worth!

I'll jump in briefly... People are talking about updates loosely, and not
comparing apples to apples...
Everyone needs PROGRAM updates, but I think of the definitions updates
more when I worry about AV stuff...

SO, limiting myself to DEF updates:
The Norton AV (residential types) has the auto update(s), and that can be
a lot smaller, but they don't change it as often unless REALLY necessary...
When you go to the Norton site, and get the DEF "global" updater in the
"one size fits all" section, (not *actually* that generic), THAT is a giant
update, and goes back to when the CDs were first pressed.
(But ONLY for the definitions...)  THAT update can change many times
a day...  FWIW...