I count on CR for auto reviews, especially relating to repair history. I also count on them for appliance reviews, as they can test the heck out of these things. But for computers, sound systems, things that can be subjective (food, wine etc) I think there are other better sources.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony Q. Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: [H] Consumer reports smokes crack

I have found their evaluations of things computer related to be very weak in the past. The need for a case is obvious. The spare power adapter comes in handy for me from making the load lighter and in case I forget. I lot of people get buy just find without a mouse, but I prefer a wireless one myself. Also, I won't buy the cheapest mouse can I can find because they really are cheap. It depends on whose money i'm spending, too.

Wayne Johnson wrote:
At 05:41 PM 1/2/2007, Thane Sherrington typed:
In the latest Consumer Reports here in Canada, they have a blurb on "The hidden costs of a new laptop" - "Don't for get to add in the prices of a padded carrying case ($50 and up), extra battery ($100-$200), spare power adapter ($80 and up) and usb mouse ($30.) Your laptop's price tag often does not include these essential extras."

Well of course it doesn't. They aren't essential - other than possibly the case. The extra battery could be useful in some unusual circumstances, and I guess one could use an spare power adapter if one lost the original, but a mouse? Come on. Plus a USB mouse can be had as cheaply as $20.

I've used a laptop as my primary computer for about three years and all I have from this list of "essentials" is a carrying case ($30.) I'm not trusting Consumer Reports anymore when it comes to making purchases.

Just because the recommend a little more? FWIW I use all these extras. I have a PS plugged into a port replicator at home & another for travel. The same applies for an extra battery as there is nothing worse than sitting in an airport when your battery dies right in the middle of a download. As for the USB mouse I prefer a wireless mini mouse. Because of health reasons I don't travel as much as I use to but when I did I was sure glad that I had that extra stuff plus media & extra other cables such as USB & 1394. Now if I'm just using it around the house I could easily do without the extras so are they talking about for the Road Warrior or like my little brother that takes his to work so he can check out eBay when he's bored because he doesn't know diddly about computers.

I'm a geek that loves to tweak.