At 02:25 PM 04/01/2007, Anthony Q. Martin wrote:

If this is so, why is there talk of flash memory being used to replace HDs?

There is actually. There is a new type of hard drive due out that will use a large flash RAM to cache the OS to make start times faster.

I don't see why a solid state device should lose ability to store...it's not the same tech as a cD-RW disc.

I'm not sure of the technical reasons, but it appears to be an established fact (I've read comments from manufacturers confirming this.)