Ha! End-losers never backup anyway, so no real
increased-risk there!

Hopefully as the content market evolves it will not be
such a hassle to
get copies of what you pay for, and those copies will
hopefully by then
not be so laden with DRM as to force you to download
them illicitly thus
making them so valuable that they need to be backed up
in the 1st place.

Until then...

You will need at least 2 if not 3 drives if your
content matters, not
considering performance or online redundancy since
mirror and stripe
won't protect you from the delete key. Of course
multi-RAID groups, each
doing a specific task is ideal, but I don't see that
being affordable
anytime soon.

Hell I priced out a home brew NAS that took into
account what I wanted &
stopped at $3000 for online (stripe),
nearline(parity), offline(JBOD)
RAID, DVD-R burner (input/archive) storage of my data.

Greg Sevart wrote:
> I guess that I just feel that a comprehensive backup
solution should be
> primarily for irreplaceable or original
content--documents, home movies,
> pictures, etc. IMO, redundancy (mirror or striping
with parity) is a
> sufficient level of protection for mass content that
you speak of.

> My biggest concern, however, is with big
manufacturers starting to ship out
> high-performance machines with striped arrays for
the marginal (if any)
> performance improvement, with no warning of the
increased risk of data loss.

> Greg

[mailto:hardware-

>> Downloaded content like music & video comes to
mind.
>> Backup will be #2
>> use for Blue-ray or HDDVD burners when the become
>> cheap enough.
>>
>> Certainly not often or even in frequent 1 shot full
>> backup situation,
>> but needs some degree of backup none the less. If
my
>> 100GB+ of Mp3's
>> died I'd loose both time & money replacing them if
not
>> for some degree
>> of backups. So I incremental backup to DVD-R every
few
>> months, full once
>> a year or so.
>>
>> In a few years households will have multi-TB NAS
>> setups (likely with
>> built in high capacity discs burners or removable
&/or
>> spare HDD's for
>> backups) simply because "files" is how all content
is
>> going to end up
>> and inaccessibility will be king. MP3 & Video's
like
>> TV shows/movies
>> which are just easier to enjoy when stored
centrally
>> and accessed from
>> menus rather than digging out a CD or DVD disc.
>>
>> Storage is cheap, buy a few 1TB drives, use one for
>> main storage,
>> another for online backups, a 3rd for offline
backups,