Sounds like a bad vid card to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Cohane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 04:52:02
To:The Hardware List <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] Video Problems (NVidia related)

At 00:57 01/26/07, KHumrich wrote:
>How is your Power Supply? You said the card powers down and/or runs
>fine at the lower resolution, also the problem happens on cold boots,
>sounds like power supply COULD be the problem..Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks for the suggestion. I have to admit that I didn't consider the
power supply. On the one hand, it's a PCP&C 510 Watt supply (costs over
$190) and I would hope that it isn't the problem. On the other hand,
there are seven Seagate 15K Cheetahs in the case (and SCSI CDRW and DVD
reader) along with the dual processors.

Actually, the computer would show video just fine in 640X480, if (and
only if) it was using the Microsoft generic VGA driver. (That's what
choosing VGA Mode in the boot menu results in.)

But the video always failed at 640X480 after booting into regular
Win2k. (Video would corrupt a fraction of a second after Win2k started
to display the desktop in regular Win2k.) I think video was failing
right when Win2k switched to the manufacturer's video driver (either
NVidia reference drivers or Asus drivers).

So at the same resolutions, the MS generic VGA driver always worked but
the NVidia (or Asus) drivers wouldn't.

Okay. An hour ago I changed video cards again. I replaced the Asus
FX5200 with a Leadtek A6200 that came by UPS today. First I uninstalled
the NVidia driver software set, then deleted the video card from Device
Manager, and then ran an utility called Driver Cleaner. (Thanks M!)
Then I pulled the Asus card and put in the Leadtek card. I installed
drivers from the Leadtek CD-Rom and all seems fixed. I've warm -and-
cold booted many times and it is now running in 1600X1200 with 32 bit
color. Time will tell if it keeps running.

I don't know if the problem was a bad video card, corrupted drivers
(fixed by using Drive Cleaner), or if it will return.

Regards,
Bill