A while ago I pinged the list about some weird freezes that were
happening every 20 min or so with my machine.  After taking the advice
of the list I looked into the hard disk.  I let Spinrite work its
magic over night and voila, the freezing has stopped.  However, I am
still experiencing some weird HD issues so I decided to get a new
drive.

My plan was to just clone my existing disk structure over to the new
one.  Hooked up the new drive, fired up Acronis, and told it to clone
my disk to the new one.  It rebooted and loaded up its runtime
version.  It took a minute to check the drive, then reported it had
finished the cloning and I was to reboot.  Of course it did no such
thing and there was nothing on the new drive.

Could there be some sort of HD error that prevented it from doing the
copy?  I ran chkdisk on all the partitions and other than taking quite
a while (about 10 min) to work its way through the index for my boot
partition (20 GB), it reported no errors.  I have tried the Acronis
tool a couple times now and still the same result.

I tried the gparted live CD but had a problem with it not liking my
mouse and freezing up.  Any other tools out there that I can try or
any suggestions as to what could be preventing Acronis (usually a good
tool) from doing its job?

BTW, aside from really slow loading of large files (like slowdowns
during texture swapping in games) the HD runs just fine.  I am trying
to replace it before any serious problems pop up.

--
Brian