Well after three complete wipes and reinstalls I finally figured out
what was going on - sort of.  Check out this post:

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=628241

It seems that there exists a race condition with the Auto Update
program where it will call svchost and ping the CPU at 100%
indefinitely.  There is a hotfix available:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089

The hotfix didn't work for me - I just disabled the AutoUpdater Service.

There is a really interesting issue however that still exists - I
can't play any audio files with Mediamonkey!  When I hit play it just
sits there.  The same files play just fine in VLC.  I have tried
uninstalling / reinstalling several times but still nothing.  Really
weird.

I hate windows sometimes.

--
Brian