Flicker of power, then dead sounds like dead PSU or a
short somewhere.

Remove everything attached to mobo except power &
video card and work
from there was always my method. This includes the
front panel cables,
you can simply short the mobo power switch jumper with
a metal object to
power on.

Of course the obligatory reseat the video card, RAM, &
PSU connector
then try an alternate PSU before going whole hog &
removing the mobo
from case.

If you have a functional second pc there is always the
"swap until it
fails" method which is way more time consuming but
effective.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Jones"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

the power button
>> is pushed there is a momentary flash of the power
light on the case, then

> To isolate the problem to either the CPU or
motherboard (so far I have
> never seen a bad CPU) I prefer to bench test the
motherboard.

> Removed from the case and on my bench I hook a known
working power
> supply, video card (even if there is onboard video
as this may be the
> problem) working RAM, keyboard, mouse and monitor to
the motherboard. I
> have an on/off power switch (use a jumper for the 2
power switch pins if
> you do not have an external power switch).
>
> You can run this same test in the case (using a
different power supply,
> of course) but it is too easy to forget to unhook
something this way.
> The bench test isolates the motherboard from any
problem it could
> encounter while in the case such as a short or
ground.

> Again, after isolating the problem to the
motherboard or CPU, moving to
> a working motherboard always solved the problem.
>
> Just remember the bare bones rules (how far you have
to go with a new
> build to get video):
>
> Power supply (represented by the case, but board can
be powered from
> bench in or out of its case.)
> Motherboard
> CPU
> Memory
> Video
> Keyboard (optional?)
> Mouse (optional)
> Monitor
>
> Anything not on this bare bones components list
could be the cause of
> failure to perform P.O.S.T. thus no video.
>
> Chuck

 the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/