Thanks Wayne!

Had not seen the Icydocks even when I perused FWD's
site a few times.
Probably because I was searching for a case with a fan
and more than one
type interface. Icydock's MB559 is nice, a toss up now
between it and
the AMS Venus DS3 which has a 80mm fan. Sad both units
limit choices to
to eSATA+USB or USB+FW but free extra tray is a
selling point! ;)

Passive cooling worries me after a pair of Speedzter
3's cost me $100/ea
and caused so many overheating headaches with 7200RPM
IDE maxtor's. New
drive is a 7200.10 500GB SATA seagate that I don't
want to cook.

The cases I had been looking at were dual drive USB+FW
w/40mm fan from
CoolGear (base model only has eSATA @ ~$80) and AMS
Venus DS3R at ~$150
with USB/FW. Neither having eSATA combined with USB or
FW which I really
want eSATA+FW, hence the external bridgeboard question
and I liked the
dual drive idea.

Seems all the inexpensive cases (<$50) are IDE only,
prolific chipset,
and have no fan.

Wayne Johnson wrote:
> At 23:25 06-21-2007, j maccraw typed:
> Seems the enclosure I want is $90 eSATA only and
$150
> when you add USB or firewire. SO I wonder if a
external
> bridge is cheaper way to go?
>
> Where have you looked? Firewire Depot ?  Here is an
enclosure for SATA I
> or II that connects to the system with either USB or
eSata & it's only
<http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_info.php/products_id/1811>

> If you want to add 1394a the same product is $95 so
I have no idea where
> you're getting $150.
>
> Here's a Bridge board if you want to go that way

<http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_info.php/products_id/1455>
but it's

<http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_info.php/products_id/1223>

> WaViJo Forever