Aren't there also antenna improvements with the pre-N
routers that benefit non-N
clients?

Lack of good antennas on the NIC's are the biggest
drawback combined with low
power output IMO. Now with 3rd party firmware it's
possible to increase WAP
transmit power but that will not help the weakest link
which is the NIC's low
transmit power.

Based on that I'd covet higher power cards like Cisco
Aironet or Buffalo
AirStation cards though they sure do command a premium
price! On top of that If
they support external antennas, add one. There are a
few companies making
clip-on wifi whip antennas for laptops that look
promising but you have to have
the jack on the card.

Thane Sherrington wrote:
> At 11:49 AM 11/09/2007, Wayne Johnson wrote:
>> At 09:32 09-11-2007, Thane Sherrington typed:
>>> Will an 802.11n router give greater range with
802.11g cards, or do
>>> the cards have to been N has well?
>>
>> Sorry but N cards are also required but the router
will fall back to G

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,118666-page,1/article.html

> "When we moved the notebook some 50 feet and several
rooms away from the
> PC and router, the Pre-N throughput declined, as we
would expect. Speeds
> ranged from 12 mbps to 33 mbps, with an average of
20 mbps. But the
> 802.11g PC Card and router could not transfer data
at all.

> However, when we replaced the 802.11g router with
the Pre-N router, the
> notebook with the 802.11g card was able to connect
from 50 feet, though
> at speeds we'd expect from the slowest Wi-Fi
standard, 802.11b. And when
> we connected an 802.11g notebook to a network that
otherwise included
> all Pre-N equipment, the network didn't slow down in
an informal test."

> That suggests that using a N router with a G card
should give better
> range.  Hard to say for sure.

Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest shows on
Yahoo! TV.
http://tv.yahoo.com/