I just wanted to give you guys some feedback on the iPhone.  I know we
are all tech geeks here and haven't seen a lot of talk about it.

I bought one about 3 weeks ago at the Apple store in Syracuse, NY, on
my way to Montreal where I am living now.  Yes, it was an impulse buy
but mainly it was because my original phone had died and I wanted an
unlocked quad-band GSM because I travel a lot.

Good Things:

The phone interface is incredible.  My parents were at the store with
me playing with the demo while I was in line and within 5 minutes they
had figured out how to take pictures and flip through albums - a task
that would have taken months on a normal phone.

Yes, typing is a bit tricky with two thumbs.  It took me a solid
weekend of practice to be able to do it at decent pace.  But it is
more a challenge to break your existing Treo/Blackberry typing habits
than it is difficult to type on the iPhone.

The iPhone is simply the best ipod ever.  Period.  (this is coming
from a guy who has owned 3 iPods and a Zen).

The screen and metal backside are surprisingly durable and
scratch-resistant.  You actually have to work to do any damage, unlike
some previous iPods.

Downsides:

The latest firmware, 1.1.1, breaks all current unlocks and hacks.  It
doesn't brick your phone (unless you really screw with it) but it will
return it to an AT&T only state and will remove all mods and apps.
There is a way to revert to the older firmware but no jailbreak for
1.1.1 yet.  It's a real shame because there are some brilliant
third-party apps and games available for free.

Only syncs with iTunes which means Linux users are screwed until
someone hacks it.

The iPhone has a recessed headphone jack which is just deep enough to
render most normal headphone plugs unusable without an adapter.  They
are cheap ($6) but still it is an irritation.

No GPS.  The custom google maps is really sweet (like an
appelized-version of the real google maps) but if you don't know where
you are it loses some functionality.  There is a software package out
called Navizon that for $20 it will try and triangulate your position
using cell towers and public Wi-Fi nodes.

No 3G, only EDGE.  Which for me isn't an issue because Canada doesn't
(AFAIK) have a carrier with an unlimited data plan.  So I don't use
the edge connection, just the WiFi.  It works great but if you aren't
near an open WiFi hotspot then you can't use a bunch of the iPhone
features.

Overall all I am very happy and have no regrets what so ever.  Unless
they come out with a 16GB version with 3G and GPS next month :(

--
Brian Weeden