On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, W. D. wrote:

At 17:37 10/20/2007, DHSinclair wrote:
Am living through the initial weeks of high-speed bliss.
I may have gone really goofy with my re-address of my
machines.

Initially, I set up all my clients (4) with a 192.168.2XX.x IP addy.
The subnet mask is 255.255.0.0.

I then set up my "servers" (4) with a 192.168.2XY.x IP addy.
The subnet mask is 255.255.0.0.

Yes, my router (1) is in the 192.168.2XY.x range.
My printer (1) is in the 192.168.2XY.x range.
My subnet mask for these two is 255.255.0.0.

If I sit at a machine on an address of 192.168.2XY.x, I can not
open the net neighborhood 'shares' of w2k machines that are
addressed as 192.168.2XX.x.  Is this normal?

Yes.

No.

Do you have some sort of firewall between the devices? Are you *positive* that the subnet mask is correct? There is no reason the above configuration as listed would not work. Can you ping the broadcast address and see how many machines respond. (You may not get a list of all the duplicate responces, but can you ping the individual addresses of each machine, and can you see them in the arp tables?

I am now thinking that I need to move everyone to an IP addy in
the 192.168.2XX.x range and change my subnet mask to
255.255.255.0.

That should work.

As should your original configuration. If it wouldn't work you wouldn't be able to have companies with >254 computers on a network without routing.

Christopher Fisk
--
BOFH Excuse #445:
Browser's cookie is corrupted -- someone's been nibbling on it.