At 11:09 AM 31/10/2007, Anthony Q. Martin wrote:

How much time did this take you in total? It seem to me that the problem is cheap, cheap, cheap all the way around.

I'd say a little under an hour and a half of labour. The whole thing cost the customer $93. I charge by the job, not by the hour. So comparatively, he could have paid ~$90 for a new motherboard (assuming I could have found one that worked with his CPU and RAM) then $59 to install the board, another $59 to install Windows, then $49 to restore his data to the new Windows installation, and of course he'd be stuck reinstalling and reconfiguring everything. I'd say $93 was reasonable. It was an Asrock motherboard, so it isn't the worst of the low end motherboards.

I guess there must be good money to be made in fixing cheap parts....but it seems like there should be some decent mobo upgrades that would end up costing about as much to the end customer.

Not really, as I pointed out above. The cost of a new motherboard install (assuming one can get a motherboard that will match all components) and the work involved is a lot more than just the cost of a new motherboard.