Yah, you're right about the necessary drivers already being installed in XP.
The flash drives normally detetect as a USB Mass storage device or something to
that effect.

I had a system that would do that in normal mode, but in safe mode it would
detect and install properly. Ended up being some problem with an application or
combination of applications in their startup/services.

Otherwise it could possibly be a driver problem or, more likely, something
screwy in the registry. Sometimes system restore can save your arse if the
problem started recently.

You need to have these files...
%SYSTEMROOT%\USBSTOR.INF
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\usbstor.sys

If they're not there or suspect damage, insert your XP cd with the appropriate
service pack and copy the files back onto the computer from a comand prompt
with:

expand -r d:\usbstor.in_  %systemroot%\inf
expand -r d:\usbstor.sy_ %systemroot%\system32\drivers

I assume D: is  the CD drive. Substitute as required

Worst case might involve doing a Repair install.

Good luck

-Tharin O.

Thane Sherrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I've got an XP machine that won't
install drivers for thumbdrives,
even though they should be built in.  Every time I put a thumbdrive
or card reader in the machine, it tells me an error has occured
installing the new hardware.  Any idea how I can make sure the
drivers in Windows are all installed?