Bah for KVM price gouging! With Dell DRACs (Dell Remote Access Controller) and
the HP equivalent working with standard cheap ethernet switches, I never saw
the point in buying into the KVMoIP pricing scam. The new generation 9 Dell
Poweredge racks dont even have keyboard and mouse ports because hardly anybody
accesses them directly from the console anymore.
The typical KVM apologist defense is that $3000 for a KVMoIP product is cheaper
than getting a $400 DRAC for each dell server plus the extra port required on
your switch. The reality that *everyone* knows is that when buying Dell servers
they bundle DRACs practically for free, and needing two ports on a switch per
server is immeasurably insignificant when managed switching these days costs
under $10 a port!