At 09:16 PM 30/01/2008, James Boswell wrote:
On 31 Jan 2008, at 00:08, Thane Sherrington wrote:

At 05:10 PM 30/01/2008, DHSinclair wrote:
OK.  I would support your guess. Makes the most sense. And, if the
fan is changing speed, the heat logic works.  Reads like new
heatsink to me.

It appears to have been the heatsink.  (I had another of the same
model lying around so I stole the heatsink from that.)

This might be a stupid question.. but...

How exactly does a heatsink, which austensibly a chunk of passive
metal... fail?
warping over time due to heat?

My guess is that the heat tubes either kinked so that the coolant can't move through them properly, or (assuming it's a gas, since I saw no evidence of liquid) the coolant leaked out.