I've got a Word doc I'm working with in Office 2003.  Two problems that I
can't seem to fix.  First, the header box is about 1.5 inches tall and I
can't seem to resize it down.  The header and footer are set to 0" from the
edge under the Page Setup.  I tried going under View - > header/footer and
while I can edit the text in the header/footer (there is only 1 line in
each) I can't make the box smaller.

The second problem is with extra spaces at the end of the page in the end
notes section.  The top three inches of each page has hard returns when I
turn on the show formatting button but they are greyed out and I can't
delete them.  When I turn on view header/footer they un-grey (even though
they are outside the footer box) but I still can't select them.  Any ideas?