If you use keyfile(s) then passwords are not an issue.
You just issue your users
a small capacity thumbdrive encrypted by TC w/
password to protect the
keyfile(s) on it. Or if you are serious pick up some
IronKeys and use them to
store keyfile(s). Don't know how this affects the new
TC version if it's
pre-boot security but works great post-boot to mount
my secure documents partition.

Yes you can/should backup but there some data that is
too large for backup yet
you want stored securely (temp files like downloads)
or windows goes whacky
between backups & you rather not loose the changed
data. I have had this happen
under DriveCrypt & previous versions of TC where your
entire container/partition
is useless due to corruption in the beginning of the
container. On an
unencrypted partition there is always the ability to
do sector-by-sector. Even
windows EFS worst you loose is 1 file, so TC & the
like to be as recoverable IMHO.

Harry McGregor wrote:
> IMHO if you care enough about your data to use whole
disk encryption,
> you care enough about your data to setup an
encrypted backup, such as
> ssh secured dirvish, or Bacula over local network,
or even over a vpn.

> Even a laptop can be backed up well while on net
using Bacula.  We have
> several field laptops that go to tape nightly when
on net, and the users
> are instructed to leave the laptops on at night for
that purpose.

> I am seriously considering setting up True Crypt for
all of our laptop
> users, as a government unit, we have significant
data loss prevention
> issues.
>
> For a long time I was concerned about data
encryption due to the
> inability to get at it if a user loses their
password, but I think True
> crypt has some master key options that we can deploy
as well.  I have
> been looking over documentation on it quite a bit
today.

> http://www.dirvish.org/
> http://www.bacula.org/en/
>                                        Harry
>
> Brian Weeden wrote:
>> Hard disk maintenance tools like Spin Rite will
work just fine but

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs