-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of James Maki
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 10:06 PM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] Freaky Friday WinXP install -- (a bit long)

Duncan,

Actually the recovery disk for True Image is Linux based. It loads from CD
after boot but before Windows loads. It also comes with a Windows based
program that will create the image from within Windows. You have to re-boot
to the Linux program only when restoring the C:/boot drive. As long as I am
within Windows, True Image works perfectly. Only when I try to restore the
C: drive does it require a re-boot to the Linux version and I loose contact
with most of the hard drives. One hard drive (and always the same one) is
visible. The other drive on the same controller is NOT visible. I haven't
tried moving them around to see if it is the spot on the controller or the
drive itself that makes a difference.

As True Image boots to the program in Linux, there is a a flash on the
screen saying the nVidia and Sil3114 controllers (the controllers on the
motherboard) have been found, followed by a message that no volumes were
found.

The Opteron is a socket 939 dual core processor, almost identical to some of
the higher clock speed AMD64 X2 CPUs that AMD stopped making. It is 2.6 GHz.
Dual core, single socket.

The psu is a Sparkle Power FSP550-60PLN-B 550 Watts EPS12V Switching Power
Supply. If the psu is working, it should provide sufficient power. Of
course, if it is failing, all bets are off. I don't have dual video cards or
a power hungry single video card. It will take some time to remove a power
supply from another system to test the theory that the Sparkle is dying.
Will let you know what I find out.

I may be in denial, but the repeated weird problems seem to be getting
progressively worse in a way I would not attribute to the psu. Removing the
750 GB WD drive that was showing slow transfer times and putting it back
into the external enclosure produced a new problem. As long as the drive was
attached to the nVidia controller, the computer would stick at the
"searching for drives" section of the nVidia boot process. As soon as I
removed the drive, it booted fine. I moved the drive to one of the pcie-X1
SATA ports and everything boots fine. More and more I am suspicious of the
on-board SATA controllers. I have never been able to mount a boot drive on
the Sil3114 ports and now the nVidia seem to be acting up.

Unfortunately, it take time to test each hypothesis. In the meantime, my
main system is down making life a little more complicated.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I will be trying to implement
them in the next couple of days.

Jim Maki
[EMAIL PROTECTED]