> >t looks like the WD Black WD1001FALS is becoming available now, but if
> >you're looking for something that's been out for a while and proven--
> this
> >isn't it.
>

> Yeah, when you are talking 1TB of your data this becomes the most
> important issue. A drive of this size is difficult to keep backed up
> properly so reliability is crucial. I have been thinking of getting a
> 1TB drive and I think I am going with the Seagate. Fast enough for my
> media files it has proven to be safe, and reliable.

Well, to be completely fair, it isn't like it's a whole new from-scratch
design. WD's been doing 3-platter 7200rpm drives for a long long time.
334GB/platter tech isn't new either...the B3-revision WD3200AAKS and all
WD6400AAKS drives use the same tech, with 1 and 2 platters, respectively.
All the new Black edition does is add a platter and double the buffer, and
likely some firmware optimizations to take advantage of the bigger buffer. I
wouldn't discount it completely just because it's new; it is likely a very
solid drive.