But that's a DC to AC to DC conversion and going to lose a lot in the
conversions.  Generate quite a bit of heat too.

Best thing would be to find a PSU that can feed off 12V DC.  I did that way
back in 1998 when I put a computer in my car to play MP3s.  Wasn't all that
expensive, just a bit hard to find.  Not sure if the same thing exists for
laptops.

----
Brian