You should be able to Ghost the current C: drive to the new 500 gigger, but don't tell it to use the whole drive, only use 200 or 250 or whatever you wish for the C: boot drive to have...

Then the new 500 gig drive would be your C: drive and would have whatever number of gigs left unformatted for a second partition.

Format and use the unused space as a second partition for the second drive to be copied to...

Then you would have C: and D: as different partitions on the same bootable 500 gig drive...