At 01:36 PM 9/6/2008, you wrote:
I've noticed that a lot of laptop manufacturers are offering 3 GB memory.
Does this mean that they are using 1 stick 1 GB and 1 stick 2 GB?

yes I just bought a ACER with 3GB, it can be upgraded to 4GB by replacing the 1GB module with another 2GB module

If yes, then does the laptop achieve dual channel memory,

no but the motherboard must support dual channel, it is not just a matter of how the DIMMs are installed. My guess is that only high end laptops targed to those who want to game on a laptop are going to offer this

 and is the
performance impaired in any way?

well they say dual channel support gives you 10 to 15 percent memory performance boost, which frankly is going to be damn near unnoticeable to the average user.... particular so on a laptop which by their nature will never be a really fast machine.

--
Best Regards,

Zulfiqar Naushad