That method seems fine

I have a similar setup going on here

Netgear DM111P > wan port on a WRT54GS running tomato > port on the WRT hooked up to a port on a Buffalo 8 port gigabit switch

occasionally I'll hang 100mbps devices off the WRT, that's more an issue of cable management than anything else.

Traffic between local nodes will just bound around the gigabit switches ports and never get anywhere near the router, so it's as performant as it gets.