Greg,

Thanks for the link to the port 25 Opt-out, that will probably work nicely.

Gary,

I don't have my system right in front of me now, but I'm pretty sure
that the ports were correct when SSL was turned on.  Thunderbird
changes the ports automatically.  IIRC the error was:  "This server
does not support secure authentication."

Maybe I'm chasing the wrong problem?

Scott,

Yeah I noticed a lot of people having the same problem, but I'd like
to get it working properly, not the work-around of using gmail that
seems to be the solution of choice.

Thanks to all for the replies, progress will be noted here.

Thanks....Steve