Gary/Christopher,
I can sort of agree with this. Some months back I managed to combine an old HP PC and an old Dell PC (best parts of both!) into one PC for a neighbor. I chased this "PCI simple Comm. Controller" for about 3 days; until IT popped up as the device that allowed a WinModem to talk with a "special" Creative sound card. Never did get it to work; and, the neighbor brought me a 'real' modem to install in place of the WinModem. The problem/msgs went away............ :) The OS was WinME. I tried to 'give' them W2Kpro; they did not like it. They really wanted WinXP (on the cheap!). Did not happen; they left with their (?) WinME!
Not sure this helps. Just FYI.
Best,
Duncan