Email & surfing the web no longer equate to the statement "needs little horsepower" because some surf for multimedia, flash, or java content that certainly needs more horsepower than basic surfing.

I do not agree that AMD solutions save customers money in the long run, nor do I think skipping core duo makes sense. Many customers use their machines well past their optimum service life and benefit from font-loading better-than-currently-needed hardware not to mention a bit longevity due to CPU upgradability when prices drop.

Yes, I am aware the I7 is yet another socket but there are going to be E, Q, & QX chips dropping in price same as DDR2 has plummeted as DDR3 hits.

For AMD to get better, people need to stop investing in their products. For Intel to get better, AMD needs to get better because unchallenged Intel will not aggressively innovate because they don't need to. Loosing sales to AMD only shows Intel that they need only maintain the status quo and lower prices. AMD is in such a pickle for more than lagging Intel, they have made some really bad business decision and no amount of championing them is going to fix it, they have to decide to change themselves.

Clearly many of you think AMD is a good choice either to support the underdog or because you see price/performance of AMD meeting an imaginary low speed target that makes "value" systems worth it. I think in time that will prove to be misguided and will continue to say you are doing customers a dis-service.

Thane Sherrington wrote:
At 12:02 PM 10/11/2008, W. D. wrote:
At 00:31 11/10/2008, maccrawj wrote:
>What he said ---v
>
>;)
>
>For that matter I state again that building AMD based systems right
>now is doing a
>dis-service to your customer, same as building Intel in 2004 would have been.

I only buy AMD to support them financially.  What if they
were to go under?  Since AMD has been on the scene
Intel has been forced to compete fiercly.  Would Intel be as
aggressive in pursuing performance and value without a serious
competitor?  I think not.

AMD makes some good processors, and for most people the slightly lower speed plus lower price makes them worthwhile. Core 2 Duo for email and surfing the web? Not worth the extra dollars.