And it can't be the button itself if long-press activates soft-off which is a hardware implemented response to the button.

I assume you mean suspend since hibernation results in soft-off like shutdown but on powering back up the boot load redirects to the hibernation file for that boot.

Sounds like APM/ACPI whatever is not doing it's job. Could also be a bad driver is interfering with the initial suspend-to-ram or suspend-to-disk activity preventing a clean suspend. My Dell C840 has done this to me from time to time, it at least responded to the power-resume press but then would seize & not resume.

I've seen where the wrong driver version can lead to 100% CPU on wake, prevent going to sleep, etc... So I'd be checking to be sure all the driver are the laptop manufacture's latest recommended releases, and once it works with them move on to the generics if they are newer.

Ben Ruset wrote:
Do you mean hibernation or suspend? Because when the laptop is hibernating, it's power is off. When it's in suspend mode it's still powered up, albeit only enough to keep the contents of RAM active.

Bobby Heid wrote:
IIRC, he can hold the power button down and shut it down.  It just won't
come out of hibernation many times.

Bobby

Check if there is a reset button on the bottom of the unit...
pauls