j.,
Your comments are duly noted. Thank you. more inline below..........

At 06:12 11/24/2008 -0800, you wrote:
My asus Rampage uses all ICH9 support for SATA and the the JMicron just for a single PATA port. Should not be an issue getting them to work unless you have RAID or ACH enabled in the BIOS causing issues due to non-HDD devices attached.

Understand. Your Rampage and my P5Q3 appear to be wired a bit differently. Not an issue. I do not enable RAID; and, when I did try [ACH] the board no longer saw my bootable hard drive (just like Brian mentioned). Switching the SATA bios setting back to [enhanced/ide] brought the hard drive and dvdrom back to bear again. The UM is very lean on explaining this 3-choice switch in bios. I will spend time in the future with independent reviewers of this level of AMI bios. I have not seen an AMI bios since ~1975. Something new to learn; I have 3 of these m/b's, so I will have 3 machines with similar logic.

Farenheight readings mean nothing in the computer world, give us some Ceilcus numbers. There's 3 base temps CPU diode (real temp), CPU (mobo temp under socket), case (mobo ambient temp). Then you get into the NB, SB temps.

OK. Sorry about that. I was aware the collective has switched to Celsius. ATM, my new test platform is currently doing 48C (buttoned-up). I'll assume this may be idle because the only app running is Probe II. The motherboard temp is 44C (buttoned-up. I do not see a 'case temp', and I know nothing about the NB or SB ATM. This m/b seems to be greatly stripped down from that vastly more expensive Pro, Deluxe, and Wifi versions of the same m/b. The good news is that this m/b has everything I believe I will need now and in the near future. Yes, these boards may lack a boatload of other creature features, but I do not have a use for those ATM. It is a P45x and uses DDR3. That is a good start for me. And, it is (so far) stable as a brick.

Probe sucks big time & no real replacement exists that is 1. free, 2. reads all the sensors. Probe tends to prevent use of a networked printer. Also Beware of AITuner, etc... apps as FUD.

I do hope we can agree to disagree. Yet again, LOL! I will accept your review of Probe in any/all of it's permutations. I will accept that it may have some trouble, but I have used it without trouble for the past 10 years without loosing a single PC to some 'faulty' display reading. I do not run Probe 24/7; I run it when I am curious about basic power or fan condition (w/o rebooting to bios).

So far, Probe has alerted me to 6 suspect psu's going south (over the years), and, more dying cooling fans than I can count. I appreciate your share, but I will continue to use Probe. In the end, I was just sharing my impression about how much more improved Probe II is vs. the old Probe v2.2.04 I use on my other Asus-based machines. I may yet try to load Probe II on one of my other machines. I expect trouble, but it could be interesting!
Best,
Duncan

DHSinclair wrote:
The Intel PC has finally settled down. I spent the 1st days scratching my head but finally upgraded the m/b bios from the default 04041 to 0404; and then to 0502. This became necessary because the PC would only run for 20-35 minutes before it just re-booted itself. Odd. At bios 0502 this behavior has stopped. It now seems that JMicron SATA logic does NOT work happily with the ICH10 logic on the P5Q3. And, sadly, the JMicron logic owns/controls the single EIDE/PATA connector on the m/b (along with its' two hard drive only SATA connectors). Another odd, but OK. Initially, I tried one of the Sabrent SATA/IDE converters on my dvdrom. It was not recognized on the SATA connector. Once I finally decided the converter was toast and used a different Sabrent converter, Bingo! The dvdrom (pata) is now a fully recognized SATA client! And, I was able to disable the JMicron logic in bios. The PC is now stable and has logged some 50hours of continuous on-time with a single glitch. I have temporarily given up on JMicron. I will do more study, but for now, this PC will be fully SATA. Now that the aluminum case is fully buttoned up, I have used the newest Asus Probe II to monitor the power, cpu temp, m/b temp, and, fan speeds. Currently, my E8400 is cruising along at ~117F. The m/b reads ~110F, but this seems odd. Perhaps this is just where on the m/b this sensor lives. The last version of Asus Probe I used was v2.04. This new Probe II is hugely improved. Certainly more eye candy, but it also seems to have included most/all of the old H.Oda tool for checking out a cpu and the associated I/O. It now lists information about everything I have plugged into the m/b; in full detail! I do like this program. The new PC has proved that my old 160GB pata hard drive and old AOpen dvdrom are AOK. I did complete a fully patched w2ksp4 install. The OS is still a bit confused, but working. I still have duplicates of primary eide controller, primary and secondary channels, system board, and, what seems like too many 'm/b resources' and USB stuff. The USB stuff is not an issue ATM. This m/b has 12 USB ports! I see lots more USB in my future! All in all, I am very happy with this new kit. It provides plenty of challenge and growth in the next several years for me. And, it runs stock at 3GHz which is plenty fast for what I need to do. I will pass on dabbling on the AITweaker section of the bios. I do not see a need to OC this PC ATM.
Just my initial impressions for now.  Suggestions and comments are welcome!
Best,