This is an installation of XP that I recently had to fight off a
malware attack, although I don't know if this problem is because of it
or predated it.

My video files are associated with KMplayer.  If a double-click a file
from explorer, nothing happens.  If I right-click and select 'open
with' it works.  Has anyone run into this before.  I checked the file
association and they are fine.  What I realize now is that I don't
know if it's the same with other file types or whether they work on
double-click.

Suggestions?

Thanks...Steve

The malware infection:  One day I came back to my computer and it was
at the EULA screen of Homesite, a realty program.  I cancelled and
just went about my business.  The next day on turn-on, the same screen
came up.  Upon investigation, I found two suspicious files in the root
of each hard drive:  autorun.exe and autorun.inf.  Neither could be
deleted.  Ran spybot in safe mode, it claimed to have removed the
infection but did not, it came back.  Ran Malwarebyte's Malware
remover in safe mode and that did remove everything.  Even the trojan
that kept the infection coming back.  No, I'm not pandering for
Malwarebyte, just letting you know what worked.  Disappointed that
Spybot did not.