On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Wayne Johnson wrote:

I don't think I completely agree with this solution especially if you have a lan.

Alternatively, the following registry key may be deleted:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

If one deletes this then won't they'll lose their mappoints for all the other drives on the lan?

It just deletes the autorun cache, not the mountpoints themselves. Good if you're looking to get rid of any memorized autoruns.

I do have a reg file that I run that disabled autorun

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\CancelAutoplay\Files]
"*setup*.exe"=""
"*instal*.exe"=""
"*setup*.bat"=""
"*instal*.bat"=""
"*setup*.cmd"=""
"*instal*.cmd"=""
"*setup*.com"=""
"*instal*.com"=""
"Y?kle*"=""
"Felrak.exe"=""
"Imposta.exe"=""
"KUR.exe"=""
"Ayarla.exe"=""
"sfc2.ico"=""
"evanims"=""
"00000001.tmp"=""
"updmoney.exe"=""
"hs\\media\\y\\11399\\11399_cd_fp.jpg"=""
"hs\\media\\y\\9953\\9953_cd_fp.jpg"=""
"hs\\media\\y\\9951\\9951_cd_fp.jpg"=""
"hs\\media\\y\\9964\\9964_cd_fp.jpg"=""
"hs\\media\\y\\9968\\9968_cd_fp.jpg"=""
"inf"=""

That only stops what you can proactively stop. If someone were to name their malicious autorun blahblahblah.exe then you're not stopping it.

Christopher Fisk
--
[during a company sexual harassment training video]
Narrator: Remember, nothing says "good job" like a firm, open-palm slap on the behind.

believed to be clean.