Testing a single machine is hardly ruling out anything!

Arg, for christ's sake, it's a standard motorola modem and they all work the same. It does not take 30min of power off to reset or timeout at the cable co. Either it's the modem caching or your account is PERMANENTLY (barring phone call to CATV co or MAC clone on router) tied to the CPE MAC.

1. connect modem into CPE
2. power modem up
3. power CPE up
4. Modem learns CPE's MAC address
5. Modem requests IP lease from the head-end.

Changing the CPE requires:
1. unplug the modem long enough to loose power (< 1min)
2. unplug old CPE
3. follow above list using new CPE

This procedure works every time, I did it many times over 5 years on Comcast in NJ. If somehow your area falls into the permanent MAC method than simply cloning the MAC of PC1 to the router solves that issue. In fact you could simply do that and not have to mess with power cycling anything but the router.

Stan Zaske wrote:
I am reminded again how much I liked Insight before Comcast bought them. As much trouble as I've had since then I suspected foul play. I'm pretty sure my router is bad because past experience tells me it should work without any user config from me. Too bad my modem doesn't serve any DHCP or it would have worked plugged into my LAN. Until a couple days ago extending all the way back to when I first installed this router (1996) all my boxes connected to the Internet and that includes the one running PCLinuxOS Tiny Me. Since my modem is working and not caching the MAC addy it must be a router malf. Thanks again.