Why Duncan? TESTING! If it's doing something screwy then it's time to test! Create a shortcut to you firefox like this: "firefox.exe -profilemanager", then create a new acccount to test with. In the end you can switch accounts the same way. New account = no improvement then the only choice is backup FF & you profile(s), and do a clean install of FF w/ new profile.

How would using a "new browser window" and not using tabs = lower cpu or ram usage? If anything this would mean greater usage on both.

Another tip is TabMixPlus which gives better control over how tabs work.

DHSinclair wrote:
<snip>

I am still having trouble with "tabs" for some reason. If "tabs" are enabled, the FF3 browser just grinds to a halt quickly; like right after the 2d "tab". If I disable "tabs" and us "open in a new browser page," FF3 works great; just like IE. This is my current run choice. I know that problem is here locally. I just have not found it and killed it!!!!! LOL! Several have suggested that I just kill/erase the current FF install and start fresh. An option, perhaps, but I am still wondering why? I started w/FF3.01 and am not at FF3.05 (using NoScript and CSLite).

Whatever. Not an operational issue for me ATM.
Best,