From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Brian Weeden
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 6:23 PM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] Thoughts on 1TB HDs?

I'm running a RAID 5 array in my HTPC with 4 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 drives
(and about to add #5).  I originally bought a 1 TB WD GreenPower drive to
move all the data off my old RAID array when I went to the new one and I did
have a problem with it.  It never died, but it was flaky enough in the BIOS
detection and in the SMART reporting (for what that's worth) that I steered
away from those completely.  I also went with a good quality hardware RAID
card (Areca 1220) instead of the onboard ones and it is well worth the
investment.

One very important thing to keep in mind if you are going to be building a
RAID array with these puppies - how long does it take your array to rebuild
itself?  Because if you're running RAID 5 and a drive fails and another
drive fails in the middle of rebuilding the array, you're screwed.  So you
need to do some calcs with your RAID adapter card specs to see if that's a
concern or not.  Going to RAID 6 may help because it allows for 2 failures,
but then you have 2 1TB drives in the array just sitting there.  And while
the drive may still be under warranty so you can get it replaced easily,
that doesn't help you get your data back if it broke your array.

If you are going with regular SATA drives, you may want to consider getting
the enterprise model instead of the consumer model.  Or perhaps the WD
Caviar Black which is $20 more expensive but has a 5-year warranty and has
really good reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Links to reviews and roundups:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/1tb-hdd-roundup.html